Three preliminary events took place Sept. 22-24, and we’re covering each one with pictures, highlights, and results. First up: the Denver Qualifying Event!
BY ASHLEY RODRIGUEZ
BARISTA MAGAZINE ONLINE
Photos by Elizabeth Avila
This weekend, three preliminary events of the United States Coffee Championships (USCC) took place leading up to the Qualifying Competitions and the USCC national competition to take place in April 2018. We’ll be providing coverage of all three events, starting in Denver with a competition hosted by the Rocky Mountain Craft Coffee Alliance and taking place at the Novo Coffee roasting facility.
We’ve covered the previous three preliminary events in Rancho Cucamonga, Seattle, and Portland, Ore., in August and September, and will provide coverage of the last two preliminaries happening this weekend in Louisville, Ky., and Tulsa, Okla. In Denver, competitors from across the country came together to brew down, party on, and earn a spot in the next round of competition. Here are some of our favorite moments; a full list of those baristas moving on to the next round is provided at the end.
1. Brandon Acuña, Fleet Coffee
2. Josh McNeilly, Black Black Coffee
3. Sam Neely, Switchback Roasters
4. Joel Bigelow, Messenger Coffee
5. Derrick Wessels, Beagle Coffee Company
6. Macallie Atkinson, Verve Coffee Roasters
7. Shep Wadley, Huckleberry Coffee Roasters
8. Michael Slomzenski, Huckleberry Coffee Roasters
1. Kaley Gann, Messenger Coffee
2. Sloane Wachob, Novo Coffee
3. Avery Leith, Huckleberry Coffee Roasters
4. Sebastian Legner, Café Pomarrosa
Thanks for the catch! Caption corrected.
The picture that says it’s Joel from messenger is actually of Sam from switchback.