If you’re sitting at home trying to convince your family to drink better coffee, or staring at your AeroPress wondering what the heck to do with it, here are some recipes from the top finishers at the 2017 World AeroPress Championship.
BY ASHLEY RODRIGUEZ
BARISTA MAGAZINE ONLINE
Photos courtesy of the World AeroPress Championship
Chances are, if you’ve traveled away from your home or neighborhood coffee shop, you’ve thrown an AeroPress into your suitcase or carry-on. And if you ask anyone what their recipe is for making the best cup of coffee with an AeroPress, you’ll hear 1,000 different responses.
So why not try some award-winning recipes? Whether you’re on the road trying to convince your family to step away from their Mr. Coffees and automatic machines, or spending time tinkering with brew ratios and different techniques in the café, you may want to try these winning recipes from the 2017 World AeroPress Championship, which took place last month in Seoul, South Korea. Winner Paulina Miczka from England brewed a coffee using the inverted method, and brewed a concentrated coffee she then bypassed with hot water. We have included not only her recipe, but the recipes from the second- and third-place finishers at this year’s competition. Feel free to try these out—or create a recipe of your own!
PAULINA MICZKA, ENGLAND
Water: 370g at 84°C
- Put 35g of coffee into your AeroPress.
- From 0:00 to 0:15, add 150g of water.
- From 0:15 to 0:35, stir and keep stirring.
- At 0:35, put filter cap (with pre-wet filter) in place.
- At 1:05, flip the AeroPress and start pressing.
- At 1:35, stop pressing. You should have now 90ml of the concentrated brew (4.5%TDS).
- Add 160g – 200g of hot water and enjoy!
Total brew time – 1:35
YUSUKE NARISAWA, JAPAN
Coffee: Coarsely ground coffee: 28g, very finely ground coffee powder: 1.5g
Water: 245g at 85°C
Filter: Double paper
- Add coffee to the AeroPress.
- Pour water and start timer.
- Add 70g water and stir 20 times.
- Add 100g water.
- Put filter cap (with wet double paper filter) in place and flip the AeroPress.
- Press slowly until 1:50.
- Add 75g hot water.
Total brew time – 1:50
JEONGSU PARK, SOUTH KOREA
Water: 230g at 86°C
Filter: Both metal & paper filter
- Put the metal filter, then the paper filter, into the filter cap.
- Place filter cap onto the brewer and add the coffee.
- Add 75g water at 86°C, and then stir six times.
- Wait for 45 seconds.
- Add 75g water at 86°C, and then stir five times.
- Put the plunger into place and wait for 1 minute.
- Press down on the plunger for 10 seconds.
- Add 150g water at 86°C to the brewed coffee.
You can check out more recipes at the World AeroPress Championship website!