The San Francisco Bay Area’s Venerable Mr. Espresso Seeks Director of Coffee
Specialty-coffee roaster Mr. Espresso is searching for a passionate, talented, and motivated individual to join our team as Director of Coffee. The Oakland, Calif.-based company specializes in Italian espresso and coffees for contemporary tastes.
The Director of Coffee will work collaboratively with Mr. Espresso’s Green Coffee Buyer and Roast Master, John Di Ruocco, to drive the coffee program in the following areas:
- Mastering the art Oak Wood Roasting.
- Green Coffee Purchasing: help secure and build long term relationships with coffee producers and importers with a focus on quality and sustainability.
- Curation of Coffee Offering: help manage current coffee offering, optimizing breadth of current selection while identifying opportunities for improvement
- Quality Control: manage coffee quality control functions and initiatives for consistency and continual improvement
- Cupping and Tasting: regular cupping and tasting which includes green sample evaluation, production roast evaluation, blend optimization, staff and customer education.
- Roast Profile Development: work with roaster to develop and maintain roast profiles
- Public Relations: participate in Marketing & PR efforts aimed towards promoting current and new coffees, with goal of building awareness and driving sales
Desired Experience, Skills, and Traits:
- Minimum 7 years working in specialty coffee industry
- Minimum 5 years coffee roasting experience
- Extensive knowledge of different coffee brewing methods
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong mechanical and technological skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Passionate, driven, independent, loyal, flexible, hard working, patient
Compensation is TBD based on experience, plus benefits which include health and 401k. Please send a cover letter along with a copy of your resume embedded in the email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mr. Espresso has been family owned and operated since 1978, and is well known for its signature slow roasting over an Oak Wood fire, and direct importation and distribution of FAEMA espresso machines from Italy. Founder Carlo DiRuocco is still involved in the business as are his wife, 3 children, and son in law. The next generation (John, Laurence, Luigi, Alex) are working hard everyday to move the company forward while staying true to its traditions.
Mr. Espresso is an Equal Opportunity Employer.