Three preliminary events took place Sept. 22-24, and we’re covering each one with pictures, highlights, and results. Next up: Greenville, S.C.!
BY ASHLEY RODRIGUEZ
BARISTA MAGAZINE ONLINE
Photos by Tony Abbott
This weekend, three preliminary events of the United States Coffee Championships (USCC) took place leading up to the Qualifying Competitions and the USCC national competition happening in April 2018. On Monday we covered the Denver event, and today we’re bringing you coverage of the competition hosted in Greenville, S.C., by Ally Coffee.
We’ve covered the previous three preliminary events in Rancho Cucamonga, Seattle, and Portland, Ore., in August and September, and will provide coverage of the last two preliminaries happening this weekend in Louisville, Ky., and Tulsa, Okla. Greenville attracted competitors from all over the East Coast, but top honors stayed in the Carolinas—this year’s Qualifying Competition will see a large representation of competitors from both North and South Carolina, with seven of the 12 advancing competitors hailing from those states. Here are some of the highlights; a full list of those baristas moving on to the next round is provided at the end.
1. Brad Hartman, Tandem Creperie & Coffeehouse
2. Evan Pollitt, Summit Coffee
3. Jon Fiedler, Grateful Brew
4. Alex Medina, Methodical Coffee
5. Jared Holt, Black & White Coffee
6. Joel Norman, Chattahoochee Coffee Company
7. Penelope Hearne, Counter Culture Coffee
8. Austin Dryden, Spiller Park Coffee
1. Jonathan Bonchak, Slingshot Coffee
2. Wade Preston, Prevail Coffee
3. James Spano, Cup to Cup
4. Dut Goodman, Revelator Coffee