It’s the October + November 2017 issue of Barista Magazine! It boasts great writing, in-depth articles, fun illustrations, amazing photos, and much more!
BY KENNETH R. OLSON
Fall is in the air (at least here in the Northern Hemisphere), and that means it’s time to turn the page to a brand-new issue of Barista Magazine!
As always, we’re lucky to work not only in a dynamic and fun industry, but we also get to work with fabulous writers and artists as we put together each issue. And the October + November 2017 issue of Barista Magazine has pages full of great content from some of the best writers in the business.
• ON THE COVER, IT’S AGNIESZKA ROJEWSKA OF POLAND: Whether it’s winning national competitions as a barista or in latte art, Agnieszka has proven herself to be a consistent winner. But she’s more than just a coffee champion—she’s a champion of specialty coffee in her café, in her community, in her country, and more. Oh, and if that’s not enough, she’s also working toward her doctorate in economics. We’re proud to feature her on the cover, and invite you to get to know her better right here in Barista Magazine.
• THE NEW SLOW BAR: The pourover bar has seen its ups and downs since bursting onto the scene a little over a decade ago. Seasoned specialty-coffee writer Chris Ryan takes a look at the best tools and strategies out there right now to make a brew bar efficient and profitable—as well as creating a great cup of coffee.
• CASHBOX: WORKING WITH FAMILY: Our terrific business columnist, Tracy Allen of Brewed Behavior, is back with another installment of our popular Cashbox series. In this issue he takes a look at the pros and cons of working with family members.
• SHARE + SHARE ALIKE PART 2. Our great contributor Meister continues the three-part series called “Share and Share Alike” with a look at the emotional and intellectual sharing that goes along with education, mentorship, and community-focused professional development.
• 10 LOW-COST SOLUTIONS FOR IMPROVING EMPLOYEE RETENTION. Writer RJ Joseph is back with a thoughtful article with practical and economical tips for any café (or small business) looking to offer significant benefits without significant costs for employees.
• A SAFE ENVIRONMENT FOR YORU STAFF. Barista Magazine’s Online Editor, Ashley Rodriguez, has a great story about creating a safe and empowered work environment for your staff. She looks at what happened at the Waking Life coffee shop in Asheville, N.C., two years ago, and what grew out of it. Additionally, she gives concrete steps any café can take to create a working environment that is good for employees and customers.
• MASTER Q+A: Colby Barr: This year marks Verve Coffee’s 10th year in Santa Cruz, Calif. I had the chance to talk with co-founder Colby Barr about his personal history, his company, and their plans for the future.
AND THERE’S MUCH, MUCH, MUCH MORE! Again, here are the ways you can access this issue of Barista Magazine:
—DOWNLOAD BARISTA MAG’S FREE APP TO SAVE ENTIRE ISSUES RIGHT TO YOUR PHONE!