Welcome to the BMag Prize Bag for August 2, 2018, your chance to win fabulous coffee prizes all related to The Barista League’s upcoming USA Tour!
BY SARAH ALLEN
You’ve maybe figured out from the extensive editorial and social media spots we’ve featured that Barista Mag is a big fan of The Barista League, which is that wild, weird, and super-creative alternative barista competition that has thus far had events exclusively in Europe. Founded by Steve Moloney, an Aussie living in Sweden, The Barista League is about inclusivity, fun, and celebrating coffee, and manifests itself as a team competition wherein competitors battle in rounds that are sometimes silly, sometimes skill-based, and always super engaging to watch.
If you haven’t heard the big news yet, let us be the first to tell you that The Barista League is coming to the United States for the first time in just a few weeks! The four-city tour will wind through Portland, Ore. (August 30), Kansas City, Mo. (September 1), Greenville, S.C. (September 6), and Philadelphia (September 8), with each city stop showcasing 12 teams of two in an array of contest rounds for top honors. It’ll all take place in a party setting with music, beer, and all your coffee friends, as well as lots of folks you’ll be meeting for the first time.
It only costs $5 to get in, and all proceeds are being donated to the amazing organization Asylum Seekers Advocacy Project (ASAP). Ticket info is located on each city’s page at The Barista League’s website (or follow the links on each city as noted in the above paragraph).
As if that weren’t enough awesomeness, the two people on the overall highest-placing team of the four-city tour will get to go on the Ally Coffee Champs Trip through Colombia in October with all the United States Barista, Brewers Cup, Cup Tasters, and Roaster champs and runners-up, plus 2018 WBC Champ Agnieszka Rojewska, Steve Moloney of The Barista League himself, plus some super-lucky guests.
OK, so down to the business of what this post is about:
We thought we would host a special BMag Prize Bag Giveaway designed to get everyone excited about this amazing tour!
Want to know what makes it even cooler? We will have not one but FOUR winners! We’ve divided up the United States into four areas focused around each of the locations of The Barista League tour stops, and we’ll have one winner from each area.
EACH OF THE FOUR WINNERS WILL RECEIVE:
• A selection of coffees from some of the best roasters in Europe, including Copenhagen’s April Coffee Roasters; Morgon Coffee Roasters out of Gothenburg, Sweden; Stockholm’s Drop Coffee Roasters; and Five Elephant Coffee Roasters from Berlin.
• Prizes from Barista League title sponsor Ally Coffee
• Rad stuff from Barista League sponsor Onyx Coffee Lab
• Killer gifts from Barista League sponsor Urnex
• Barista League swag—T-shirts, tube socks, iPhone covers, and more
• Barista Mag T-shirts, trucker hats, and one-year subscription gift cards
It’s safe to say this is the biggest, most loaded giveaway we have ever done at Barista Mag Online!
All you have to do to be entered is answer a trivia question about The Barista League below, along with your name and state of residence. Hint: The answer can be found on The Barista League’s website!
• Entries accepted through Sunday, August 5, 17:00 Pacific time.
• One entry per person.
• Teams and judges are not eligible to play (they’ll get loads of swag at the events!)
• Contest only open to United States residents (we’ll have a cool competition for other parts of the world soon, we promise!)